Cooking with your children is a beautiful way to bond. Learning a new recipe together enriches your child, teaching cooking techniques and how to make smart, healthy choices. When you cook healthy meals with your child, you’re shaping their diet preferences for life.
This weekend, try cooking every meal with your child. Teach them how to make healthy choices for every meal, trying out savory and sweet recipes, and even including dessert! Show your precious loves that healthy eating can be delectable, delicious, and delightfully fun!
Time to celebrate the weekend! Start your days-off with a delectable dinner that’s festive and fun! Friday nights are for indulgence, and you can enjoy a delicious meal that is healthy.
For Dinner: Cauliflower Crust Pizza
(30-40 minutes) This fresh twist on a longtime favorite is sure to delight and satisfy your child while maintaining healthy eating habits.
- Set oven to 425 degrees
- Blend steamed cauliflower in a food processor, press in a paper towel to drain
- In a bowl, blend cauliflower with 1 egg, 1 cup mozzarella, 1 cup parmesan
- Press dough flat onto a baking sheet
- Cook for 20 minutes, or until golden brown
- Top your freshly baked cauliflower crust with marinara sauce
- Sprinkle mozzarella and parmesan on top
- Add a favorite topping (for this pizza, we suggest sliced tomatoes or spinach!)
- Cook for 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted and crust is crip
- To get fancy, add a balsamic glaze
Your weekend is off to an awesome start! Today, you’re going to be out-and-about, exploring together and creating new memories you’ll both remember forever!
For Breakfast: Quinoa Fruit Salad & Whole Grain Toast w/ Apple Butter
(5-10minutes) It is Saturday morning, and you want energy! This breakfast is light, fresh, and not too filling, so you can get the day started right. With this scrumptious breakfast, you’ll be ready to tackle all the adventures ahead!
- Slice fresh pineapple, mangos and strawberries
- Mix pineapple, mangos, strawberries into a bowl with blueberries, blackberries
- Stir in a hefty scoop of quinoa
- Toast your whole grain bread
- Add a generous dollop of apple butter
- To get fancy, add honey to your fruit salad
This Quinoa Fruit Salad & Whole Grain Toast w/ Apple Butter pairs perfectly with excited talk about your day ahead!
For On-the-Go Lunch: Pesto Chicken Salad
(10 minutes) This healthy meal is perfect to store in Kangovou dishware and carry with you during your Saturday adventures. Perfect to prep after lunch and take with you, this Pesto Chicken Salad is fresh and crisp!
- Slice pre-cooked chicken (or rotisserie chicken) into thin strips
- Mix in a bowl with ½ cup of nonfat, plain, Greek yogurt
- Add ⅓ cup of light mayonnaise
- Add 2 tablespoons of pesto and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- Add salt and pepper to your preference
- Serve over chopped arugula, open-faced on sourdough bread
- Bring with you in our Kangovou Bento Box
- To get fancy, add sliced cherry tomatoes or a few tablespoons of pine nuts
This Pesto Chicken Salad pairs perfectly with a celery snack and a picnic in the park!
For Dinner: Baked Veggie Mac-N-Cheese
(40-50 minutes) Another healthy twist on a fun favorite. With this meal, your kids will definitely enjoy eating their vegetables! A savory way to end an active saturday, this filling entree is sure to satisfy!
- Cook elbow macaroni
- Cook broccoli
- Simmer and whisk 1 cup low-fat cottage cheese, 1 ¾ cups milk, 2 cups shredded cheddar, 3 tablespoons of flour
- Add sauce and macaroni to baking pan
- Mix broccoli and fresh spinach into mixture/macaroni
- Sprinkle plain breadcrumbs on top
- Bake casserole for 25-30 minutes, or until golden and bubbly
- To get fancy, add a spicy sausage, or ground beef
This Baked Veggie Mac-N-Cheese can be pre-prepared, frozen, and cooked on-demand. It pairs perfectly with family and sweet reminiscences of the day’s new memories.
For Dessert: Apple Nachos
(5-10 minutes) This crisp sweet perfectly follows your warm, hearty dinner. Apple wedges are full of natural, healthy sugars that satisfy your child’s sweet-tooth without upsetting their stomachs or keeping them up late.
- Cut Granny Smith apples into thin slices, spread over large serving plate
- Melt 1 cup of white chocolate chips
- Melt 1 cup of milk chocolate chips
- Warm ¾ cup of caramel
- Drizzle white chocolate, milk chocolate, and caramel over fresh apple slices
- To get fancy, add small, broken pieces of Heath bars and pretzels
These Apple Nachos pair perfectly with pajamas and an excited night of family board games!
You’ve had an action packed weekend so far, and today is about family, rest, and relaxation! For this sunday, you’re all about decadent meals and family-friendly activity!
Breakfast: Whole-Wheat Apple Pancakes
(10 minutes) Sundays start slower. You’ve slept in, and now you want to have a warm breakfast to begin your day. These pancakes are healthier than their traditional counterpart: low-fat, with a focus on fruit.
- Soften 1 diced apple in microwave
- In large bowl, mix ¾ cup all-purpose flour and ¾ cup whole wheat flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, ½ teaspoon of baking soda, ¼ teaspoon of salt
- In small bowl, whisk 1 cup low-fat buttermilk, ¾ cup nonfat milk, 2 large eggs
- Slowly mix both bowls together
- On stovetop, heat pan
- Spoon batter onto pan to individually form each pancake
- As batter is half-cooked, sprinkle-in the soften diced apple
- To get fancy, serve with a special syrup or a dollop of whip cream!
These Whole-Wheat Apple Pancakes pair perfectly with talking about last-night’s dreams.
On-the-Go Lunch: Cinnamon Vanilla Granola
(5 minutes) This fresh, sweat meal is perfect to carry with you in Kangovou dishware. Take this yummy treat on a family hike, or family trip to the zoo. Fresh, fun, and colorful, this lunch will delight everyone!
- In bowl, mix vanilla yogurt, 4 teaspoons of cinnamon, and ¼ cup maple syrup
- Add pre-made granola mixture
- Add fresh raspberries and blueberries
- Bring with you in our Kangovou Cereal Bowl
- To get fancy, add chopped pecans and dried cranberries
This Cinnamon Vanilla Granola pairs perfectly with nature, museums, and other enriching family escapades!
Dinner: Chicken and Veggie Stir Fry
(20-30 minutes) This classic meal always brings down the house! This delectible dinner is the perfect end to a weekend of healthy, fun cooking. After this, you’re sure to start your Monday healthy and happy!
- Add diced chicken breast to heated stir fry pan on stove
- Add soy sauce, saute until cooked
- Add broccoli, sliced carrots, and snap peas
- Cook all until tender and juicy
- Serve over steamed white/wheat rice
- Add soy sauce to preference
- To get fancy, make your stir fry with beef tips!
This Chicken and Veggie Stir Fry is perfect to celebrate the end of a weekend well spent!